[mrtg] Re: Permissions?

David Ziemba dziemba at ColoradoCollege.edu
Tue Feb 24 15:55:08 MET 2004

> > a) non-privileged(non-root) user trying to bind privileged port
> > (<1024)
>
> Not in this case -- the polling is being done as root (which
> is a bad idea in the long term, of course, but I need to make
> sure it works before I go trying to troubleshoot permissions
> problems).

Takumi Yamane and I were going about this for a bit through email and the
list, interesting really.  We both seemed to know the solution...You'll
have to let us know to appease our minds...

> > True, although, FreeBSD 5 does not have any packet filter on after
> > booting a default installation.  When she said 'default',
> well, that
> > was my keyword anyway...
>
> Exactly so and exactly my thought. There should not be any
> packet filtering going on. However, security has apparently
> been messing with it and nobody deigned to mention this to
> me. I'll check again when they're done palying with it.

That'd be great to get it working.  Does the Security Section have a final
say about every box before it's on the LAN?  We need something like that
here, with as many students all plugging in with who knows what
virus/worm/whatever to the LAN/WAN.

> I'm not crazy about Outlook myself, but it's what I've got at
> work, so there you are. :)

Totally!  I get paid to do a job with the highest level of productivity.
For projects where nobody else wants to play, I'll use and *nix solution
that just plain works and it can be _counted_ on to work.  Besides, the
new Office 2003, and Server 2003 work well in our environment; we have
been part of the MS Rapid Deployment Program when windows 2000 was still
Windows NT 5.

I apologize if above comments, or previous in this thread, are off-list
topics.  It will be off-list in the future.

Dave