[mrtg] Re: Pulling specific traffic off a router

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Jan 6 16:15:09 MET 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 08:40, Waltman, Adam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a customer who would like to see how much bandwidth https, ftp and
> smtp are using.  I already get their total bandwidth utilization with MRTG
> but I was curious if this is possible.

This used to be a frequent discussion topic.  There are three solutions.

1.  Dump MRTG and use flow-tools/flow-stat for this information.
2.  set up QOS and use the CAR MIB or the CISCO-QOS mib
3.  write firewall rules on the server in netfilter and pull the
information from there.

IP accounting is almost never the appropriate solution.  IP accounting
is a deprecated facility that was replaced by Netflow Switching in ios
11.0 (actually, there was undocumented support for it in 10.3.5 and
later in the core train).  That was 7-8 years ago...

> The router is a Cisco 3640.  Would I have to set up IP accounting on the
> router so MRTG could grab these stats and graph them.
>
> Any help would be great.
>
> Thanks,
> Adam
>
> --