[mrtg] Re: Example of graph not generating correctly below 0

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Jan 7 15:49:00 MET 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 08:38:03AM -0600, Simon Westlake wrote:
> By tuning the .rrd files, I can get MRTG to display current, avg and max
> negative values. However, the graphs are still not generated properly.
> Here is an example.

<80 chars line length please, thank you.

> http://24.123.87.13/img/misgraphed.png
>
> This is a value of -3.7.

Are you *sure* about this?  No offence, but most errors turn out to
be configuration issues.  Your problem could be that you are displaying
-0.37 dB ...  or you aren't using GAUGE where you should use it.

> Apparently, others have got graphs to generate below 0. I've tried different
> MRTG versions, deleting the graphics and letting them be re-generated, tuning
> the rrd files the instant they are created and various other things, and the
> same thing happens.
>
> I'd really like to fix this :)

First find out where the problem is.  Check the input to MRTG,
check the input to RRDtool,  check the contents of the RRD,
check properties of the RRD (such as min and max values, see
the "rrdtool tune" command).

Next thing to do is to provide information to this list.
"It doesn't work" is not good enough.

Best is to write a small example (the smallest that works) that
demonstrates the problem.  Include all relevant information,
including the mrtg config file and the script that feeds data to
MRTG.  Make sure you are using a data source that can be reproduced,
a script called from the external program interface would be nice.

HTH
Alex
--
begin  sig