[mrtg] 3Com 4226T Switch (mod.3C17300)

Ugo ugo at ambrosa.it
Thu Jan 8 09:10:15 MET 2004

Hi.
I use MRTG since 2 years without problem.
I've installed it in every Linux servers in my rack with a 'per server'
basis mrtg configuration.
I check CPU, Memory, Traffic and other useful infos with Perl script made
by me.
I use a simple 16 port switch (without SNMP, it's a unmanaged switch) so
for traffic I use a my script with a simple configuration of IPTABLES for
every server and it works very fine.

Now I want a better monitoring for traffic and I want to buy a medium cost
managed switch with SNMP so I can monitoring the traffic for a "per port
switch" basis, removing my iptables script in my servers.

I've a special offer for "3Com SuperStack 3 Switch 4226T 24-Port Plus 2
10/100/1000, mod. 3C17300". I've not a big network load, so the
performance of this switch are ok for me.
The docs for this switch report:
  SNMP Protocol (RFC 1157)
  MIB-II (RFC 1213)
  Bridge MIB (RFC 1493)
  RMON MIB II (RFC2021)
  Remote Monitoring MIB (RFC 1757)
  Interface MIB (2233)
  MAU MIB (RFC 2668)

I've NEVER used SNMP with MRTG so I've doubts.
Has anyone used this switch with mrtg ? Before buy it, I want be sure that
there is no problem with mrtg and I can monitoring every port.

Thanks for your suggestions.