[mrtg] Re: Large values

Amol Sapkal amolsapkal at coolgoose.com
Tue Jan 13 20:58:24 MET 2004

> Hi all.
>
> Sometimes, when there is a communication problem between the target device
> and the monitoring server where MRTG is running, instead of an UNKOWN
> value, MRTG puts a wrong value (very large) into the database (RRD or .log
> file). Does anybody know why does it hapen and how to avoid this? This is
> not the "flat line" issue documented in the MRTG FAQ.

The best way to check this out is checking the snmp poll values on the server
itself and the time of the problem. It could indeed happen that your server is
storing bad values in the MIB table and the same is being collected by your
box (I have seen this on cisco). Incase you (or someone else) is unable to
connect to the server, you could 'hand-run' your mrtg script and see what
error it generates.

Hope above helps.

Regds,
Amol Sapkal