[mrtg] Negative counters

michael t. anderson lists2 at fadedforce.com
Fri Jan 23 06:32:10 MET 2004

Hello,

I'm using MRTG to gather data via a script that calls MS WMI to get values
from windows servers, then puts them into rrdtool, then graphs with
14all.cgi.

I am monitoring performance values, and they are displayed as a 32 bit
integer. Unfortunately, some of the counters I am watching have overflowed
and now are displaying negative numbers. They are incrementing positively
(e.g. value 1: -2031329828, value 2: -2031345680 difference: 15852) however
mrtg/rrd seems to be stuck graphing values around 1.4 million (correct
values should be around 10000).

I'm not sure why it is doing this but I think it must have something to do
with the counter overflowing and starting back at -4294967295 or so.

I am using MRTG 2.9.12a and rrdtool 1.0.37.

Please let me know if you there is a way to fix this.

Thank you.