[mrtg] Rateup ERROR and Rateup WARNING

Dayne Jordan djordan at completeweb.net
Fri Jan 23 18:26:45 MET 2004

===========================
Rateup ERROR: /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/rateup found switchport's log
               file was corrupt or not in sorted order: time: 1018137600.

Rateup WARNING: /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/rateup could not read the
                 primary log file for switchport

==========================

Hardware/Software:
-- FreeBSD-4.9
-- 1.5ghz P4
-- 512MB Ram
-- Promise TX2 ATA Controller: 2-ATA100 40gb WD drives
-- MRTG-2.10.13 running cron'd

We are polling several switches and routers. Previously, we had
been using BSDi 4.2 to perform our monitoring and polling and
recently moved it to FreeBSD-4.9. Our config files were brought
over verbatim.

We are seeing errors as listed above, but not on every polling
cycle, and not always the same port/device. In fact, it seems
to be very random. Sometimes we may not see any complaints for
over a day - and even then its never the same port/device.
The graphs are updating correctly, MRTG has never exited on any
signals, all appears to be fine except these complaints.

I've searched extensively on the net via google and in these list
archives and found others with almost the same or identical issues
as we're having. It seems to be consistent regardless of the MRTG
version, and it seems to happen on a variety of OS platforms.

Any ideas?

djordan( AT )completeweb.net