[mrtg] putting values into a database...

Janet Post j.post at sparton.ca
Thu Jan 29 21:09:54 MET 2004

Hello all.

The company I work for has asked me to get MRTG logging into a MySQL database in real time instead of into the log files.  I have vainly scoured the net looking for some sort of plugin or addon.

Finally, in the spirit of the opensource community, since I couldn't find one, I wrote one!

Now for my question:  Would anyone here be interesting in helping me test my code?  With the equipment I have here, I can only test on a debian linux box running mysql, even though I've worked hard to make the code as database independant as I can.

I'm about a week away from completed code, (Two weeks to test it thoroughly on some pretty complex configuration scripts.)

Tobias:  Would you like this code contributed to you when it's complete (2 weeks)?  I was not sure if you would be interested because in your documentation you said that MRTG-3 would be rrdtool only.

Here are the specs:
I am using MRTG 2.10.5. (I realize that this isn't the lastest and greatest, but as the mother of three small children and expecting my fourth I'm not exactly lightning fast.  :-)  )

I am using using MySQL on Debian Linux.

I do NOT have any graphing utilities.  Any graphing utilities I write will use the WebGUI API  (www.plainblack.com) as that is the intranet engine we use at work.