[mrtg] MRTG to MySql

Gary Smith gary at primeexalia.com
Wed Jul 7 21:14:00 MEST 2004

Can MRTG save it data into a MySQL database instead of the data file?
We are running Linux-HA for failover for some network services (firewall
and VPN servers).  The logging is done on the primary machine to a local
resource.  Unfortunately we do not have any shared network resources in
place (such as NFS).

During the course of its normal run the primary node logs its network
utilization and some other items via MRTG.  Upon failure the second node
starts up and takes over.  The problem is that there is no common log
file between then and during the failover period the reports just goes
out the window.

Ideally I would like to be able to log everything to MySQL or another
database so when the second node takes over it can just start where the
primary left off.  So from a charting perspective there would be little
if any gaps in the MRTG graphs.

Has anyone done this with some ease?

Gary Wayne Smith