[mrtg] Re: need help with using custom OIDs

Eric Brander Eric_Mailing_List at rednarb.com
Thu Jul 8 14:04:33 MEST 2004

Dan Gahlinger wrote:

> I'm trying to setup my own custom OIDs in SNMP,
> and it works ok with MRTG, except SNMP seems to store
> the values as strings (eg: "10") instead of numbers (integers)
>
> does anyone know how to fix this? I've done searches and can't find anything.
> when MRTG tries to get the values it ends up being some corrupted string,
> and I dont know why...
>
> my target string looks like this:
>
> Target[192.168.1.10]:1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.50.101.1:public

I'm clueless about your OID output as text, but I will tell you that
this target line will not work. MRTG must have 2 instances on a target
line, and there is no way around it. What you can do is this:

Target[192.168.1.10]:1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.50.101.1&1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.50.101.1:public at a.b.c.d
Options[192.168.1.10]: /already existing options/, NOI

This tells MRTG to poll the same OID for both In and Out, but on the
options line its saying to ignore the In and so only the Out will chart.

> its a redhat linux box, and using snmpget/walk show this value as "10"
> but mrtg says its some weird corrupted value like 2B219875234987 or something
>
> any suggestions?

Try the new target and see if this error goes away.

> Dan.

Regards,

Eric Brander