[mrtg] Re: more than one IP address on one eth

Igor Smitran igor at poen.net
Wed Jul 14 17:16:54 MEST 2004

Igor wrote:
Hi, i have one eth and NAT-ed addresses behind that (192.168.0.*) Every
address is diferent client.
I need to monitor every address and different grafs for every address.
Is there a way to do that?

Garry wrote:
We did this in Linux using iptables.  We setup a rule for each IP in IP
tables for incoming and outgoing (for us it was the FORWARD chain).  The
rules that we created were called IN and OUT.  Then we do a
iptables-save -C >somefile (with awk filtering for IN and OUT only).
This runs every 1 minute.

The we have a perl script that mrtg calls with the parameter of which IP
to get the stats on.  It isn't elegant but it works.

We have 126 IP's that we report on and it works just fine.

Can you send me those files, offcourse you can mask anything that will
reflect your network security.

Thank you,
Igor