[mrtg] Re: changing historical data in an RRD

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jul 21 22:57:44 MEST 2004

>However, once I do that, my historical data will still be inaccurate.
>I'm looking for a solution to modifying the RRD so that I can
>swap the 2
>values for historical data.  If I weren't using RRD this would be a
>snap; simply cut and past the columns of data to their
>appropriate spots.
>
>Also, I know I can do an RRDTool export and get the data in an XML
>format, but manipulating that data is my weak point. So I'm
>looking for help on hacking the data in the RRD.
Try this.

First, dump the data to XML
rrdtool dump filename.rrd > filename.xml
Then convert it using script below
swap.pl < filename.xml > filename2.xml
Then reload
rrdtool restore filename2.xml filename.rrd

This will work as long as they have the same ranges and so on.

swap.pl:

while(<>) {
	} else {print "$_\n";}
}

I admit this is straight from my brain and untested, but it should work, I
think.  Obviously, back up your data first!

Steve

---
Steve Shipway: ITSS, University of Auckland
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz  Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/
** We can only discover new oceans when we have the **
** courage to lose sight of the shore.              **

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- Size: 155 bytes