[mrtg] Re: Network Bandwidth

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Fri Jun 4 10:57:05 MEST 2004

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 02:23:29PM -0600, james edwards wrote:

> I would disagree. Most DDoS are high pps attacks with very small packets.
> Looking at mb/sec will not show many attacks, they are only seen by looking
> at flows/sec or packets/sec.
>
> For this, MRTG/SNMP is the wrong tool. Routers fail under high packets/sec
> attacks where the total bandwith is below interface limits. Routers foward
> packets not megs.

And why would MRTG be the wrong tool to monitor packets per second?

Sure, when the router fails to respond at all, MRTG is not signalling
the problem.  For that, there are other tools. However, before the
router is failing, I expect MRTG to be able to monitor the increasing
amount of packets per second.

Alex
--
I ask you to respect any "Reply-To" and "Mail-Follow-Up" headers.  If
you reply to me off-list, you'd better tell me you're doing so.  If