[mrtg] newbie help needed

Paul Baxter paulbax at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jun 6 10:04:53 MEST 2004

Hi All,
 does anyone know about this GET bit I can,t work it out being a MRTG
newbie.  I am using MRTG version 2.9.20 Heres is my cfg file then below
is the result after running it...
#
# MRTG configuration file to graph bandwidth totals and
# uptime for a given host.
#
# Handy to keep an eye on total bandwidth usage and to monitor
# how close to your ISP's cap you are coming.
#
# To be used in conjuction with the 'monthlystats' script to
# fetch and log data totaled on a monthly basis.
#
# Written for the Atomic Uber-Linux box guide,
# Issue 21, Oct 2002.
#
# Ashton Mills
# amills at iinet.com.au
# Defaults

WorkDir: /var/www/html/mrtg
Interval: 10
MaxBytes[_]: 1000000
XSize[_]: 380
YSize[_]: 140

# eth0

Title[host-eth0]: Traffic statistics - eth0
Options[host-eth0]: gauge,growright,noinfo,nopercent
Target[host-eth0]: `/usr/bin/monthlystats eth0`
PageTop[host-eth0]: <H1>Traffic statistics for the Uber Gateway -  eth0</H1>
            <H3>Totaled monthly</H3>
YLegend[host-eth0]: MBytes
ShortLegend[host-eth0]: MBytes
Legend1[host-eth0]: Incoming Traffic
Legend2[host-eth0]: Outgoing Traffic
Legend3[host-eth0]: Maximum Incoming Traffic
Legend4[host-eth0]: Maximum Outgoing Traffic
LegendI[host-eth0]: &nbsp;In:
LegendO[host-eth0]: &nbsp;Out:
WithPeak[host-eth0]: ymwd

# uptime

Target[uptime]: `echo '0'; expr $(cat /proc/uptime |awk -F . '{print
$1}') / 86400`
Options[uptime]: gauge,growright,noinfo,nopercent,noi
Title[uptime]: Uptime
YLegend[uptime]: Days up
ShortLegend[uptime]: days
LegendI[uptime]:
LegendO[uptime]: Uptime:
PageTop[uptime]: <H1>Uptime for the Uber Gateway</H1>

##

Heres the resulting error...

 [root at linuxbox root]# mrtg /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg
Can't locate package $VERSION for @MRTG_lib::ISA at /usr/bin/mrtg line 59
        main::BEGIN() called at /usr/bin/../lib/mrtg2/MRTG_lib.pm line 59
        eval {...} called at /usr/bin/../lib/mrtg2/MRTG_lib.pm line 59
Can't exec "/usr/bin/monthlystats": No such file or directory at
/usr/bin/mrtg line 1491.
WARNING: Running '/usr/bin/monthlystats eth0': No such file or directory
WARNING: Could not get any data from external command
'/usr/bin/monthlystats eth0'
Maybe the external command did not even start. (No such file or directory)

WARNING: Problem with External get '/usr/bin/monthlystats eth0':
   Expected a Number for 'in' but nothing'

WARNING: Problem with External get '/usr/bin/monthlystats eth0':
   Expected a Number for 'out' but nothing'

ERROR: Target[host-eth0][_IN_] ' $$target[0]{$mode} ' did not eval into
defined data
ERROR: Target[host-eth0][_OUT_] ' $$target[0]{$mode} ' did not eval into
defined data
WARNING: Skipping Update of host-eth0, inlast is not defined
WARNING: Skipping Update of host-eth0, outlast is not defined
[root at linuxbox root]#

regards
Paul