[mrtg] Re: Network peak monitoring..

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Mon Jun 14 14:47:25 MEST 2004

But in what interval?  Top speed of what?

An example...

There are race cars.  All race cars go fast.  I happen to drag
volkswagen bugs.  I had a race a few weekends ago.  I ran
a 8.21 ET.  I have a friend that races a 32 Altered.  He was
at another race, and only ran a 12.1 ET.  His car is way faster
than mine though.

The big difference?  He did his time over 1/4 mile, mine was over 1/8 mile.

Sampling interval.  If you are only concerned with the maximum data
sent over a one hour period, 5 minutes is fairly granular.  If a 5
minute window is not granular enough, you need to define one.
No, there is no MIB for returning the max amount of data sent
over x period.  What period of time are you talking about?
1 second bursts?  Your data, while you might think would be fairly
accurate, would probably be less accurate than a 5 minute window.

If you are thinking about an EKG machine (roughly a heart monitor)
for your network, there are commercial products that do this, but
in almost all cases, involve some hardware and the ability to span
the port with which you are interested to accomplish what you
want to do.

MRTG is not the right tool for this kind of application.

Paul

>>> "Collen Blijenberg <MLHJ>" <systeembeheer at hermanjordan.nl> 06/14/04 02:57AM >>>
Well mrtg updates every 5min, so yeah within the every 5min.
so i would like both average speed in 5min and top-speed in 5min.
isn't there a way to make this happen ??
like an special .MIB file within snmp, or a diff.
way to querty snmp ??

this must be done before i guess, like when you have
a share i-net line and you whish to monitor your top speed.
ea. let say you have a 4mbit line, shared with 10 people..
wouldn't it be nice to know what your top speed's are ??
plus you can see, howmany other users are online..!
Collen Blijenberg   (Montessori Lyceum Herman Jordan)