[mrtg] Re: How to measure Network Utilisation Percentage in MRTG

Eric Brander Eric_Mailing_List at rednarb.com
Tue Jun 15 14:10:15 MEST 2004

Meng Keng Lee wrote:
> Sorry, maybe I should make myself clearer, what I want to do is to re-calculate the network utilisation in percentage, after calculating it into percentage, I can then do threshold monitoring, above 70%, alert user etc.  That is why I use the formula below
> Target[192.168.133.1_1]: (ifInOctets.1&ifOutOctets.1:ncspublic at 192.168.133.1/ifSpeed.1&ifSpeed.1:ncspublic at 192.168.133.1) * 800
> MaxBytes[192.168.133.1_1]: 100

MRTG does % of MaxBytes and displays it. MRTG can also do threshold
checking on that %. I use it all the time. Just use ThreshMaxO or
ThreshMaxI if your looking for a max threshold. and for the number, put
70%.  No need to reinvent the wheel. Get rid of that math on the target
line and just monitor as normal.

HTH,

Eric Brander