[mrtg] Re: mrtg and snmp on linux redhat 9

Tim Reimers tim.reimers at asheville.k12.nc.us
Tue Mar 2 22:20:04 MET 2004

I'm assuming that your SNMP string really __isn't__ 'public'
If not, and it has any strange characters in it, the snmpwalk command's
-c switch will need those 'escaped'

Like so:

If your SNMP string was 'vet$rwt'
then to use snmpwalk you'd have to do

snmpwalk -v 2c -c vet\$rwt hostname OID

Another possibility of a failed snmpwalk is using the wrong version-

try 'snmpwalk -v 1 -c <commstr> <hostname> <OID>'

I've encountered devices that support only SNMP version 1, OR SNMP
version 2c, etc...

One last idea-

Set up SNMP on something like a JetDirect on your same IP subnetwork
(not across a router/WAN/VLAN link)

Just set it to 'public' or something common-

Now try walking that-
[root at acslinux root]# snmpwalk -v 1 -c xxxxxx
itslj4m
SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr.0 = STRING: HP ETHERNET MULTI-ENVIRONMENT,ROM
H.07.15,JETDIRECT EX,JD34,EEPROM H.08.49
SNMPv2-MIB::sysObjectID.0 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.11.2.3.9.1

Tim