[mrtg] Re: MRTG History...or Interactive MRTG revisited

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Thu Mar 4 18:59:50 MET 2004

> Hi
> I was just going through the history of this list and found a post
> regarding an "Interactive MRTG"...I'm not sure if this was ever
> developed or not...but what it sounds like, and what I'm looking for,
> is some way to display all of the older log data in the "Day" view.
> I mean...maybe I could type in a date and have MRTG pull the logs for
> that date and then display the data in the "Day" graph...instead of
> the week, month, year...I guess just for the added detail.  Thanks
> for any info on this...
>
> Jason D. Humes

If you are storing your data in .rrd files, this is not possible. This
is due to the way RRDTool averages the data points over time. The graphs
are generated on the fly from the .rrd files, and the data points that
make up the graphs that you see today are not going to be around a week
from now.
However, the routers2.cgi front-end has been developed with some 'graph
archiving' code that enables you to archive specific graphs. So, if you
look into this further, it may allow you to archive your daily graphs
and be able to refer back to them at a future date. While I use
routers2.cgi (http://www.steveshipway.org/), I have not tested nor used
the archive feature, so I can't offer you much more detail.

HTH

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)