[mrtg] Can't write .tmp files as --user mrtg after upgrade

Tim Sheets TSheets at illinois.net
Sat Mar 6 00:32:05 MET 2004

Hello all,

Earlier today I upgraded from 2.9.29 to 2.10.13 and found that something
has changed with regards to needed permissions.

I have been running MRTG on a Red Hat ES3.0 server for a while now (and
RH7.3 and RH9 before that), and have been specifying the user mrtg as a
command line argument.

After the upgrade, I receive the following error:

[root at tntux mrtg]# mrtg --user mrtg --logging
/home/mrtg/log/mrtg-pps.log rtc-vi-pps.cfg
/usr/bin/rateup: Permission denied
Rateup ERROR: Can't open my.router.net_fastethernet0_0-pps.tmp for write
/usr/bin/rateup: Permission denied

Can anyone tell me where it is trying to write this .tmp file?

If I run it without the --user option, everything is fine.

Thanks for any help.

Tim Sheets
Illinois Century Network
Supervisor, Regions V and VI