[mrtg] Re: Moving from MRTG to RRD - Windoze

Peter Glanville peter_glanville at cuk.canon.co.uk
Wed Mar 10 09:57:54 MET 2004

> Well I was thinking of doing exactly this move until I read your post.
> Is there a recommended version of RRD for this?
Use the executables from RRD 1.0.33, and your data converts perfectly
1.0.38 and 1.0.40 are known to fail to convert (but work fine on a daily
basis). I have not specifically tried later releases.

I discovered this when playing with the Killspike.pl
It writes the RRD to an output file, removes spikes (eg caused by router
reboot) and reads the file back into the RRD. The problem comes as it
writes back to the RRD, you get some ridiculously high values, some zero
and even some negative!
Use early executable RRD and it works fine.
Which made me retest my problems with data conversion (I had converted 6
months earlier, and lost 2 years history), and yes, thats it! History
retrieved.

For daily use, I am currently running 1.0.40. (and MRTG 2.9.29, using
MrDaemon) on a w2k workstation. I know there are more recent releases
available, but "it ain't broke, so why fix it?"

Peter