[mrtg] GetLog.PL reading lines with a comma

Eric Brander Eric_Mailing_List at rednarb.com
Thu Mar 11 15:53:26 MET 2004

I've been using Windows Performance Monitor and Getlog.pl for quite
some time now to monitor our windows servers.  Well, I've finally
found a snag.  We need to monitor a new instance of something in
performance monitor which, unfortunately, has a comma (,) in the
description field of all things. (Damn you Antigen!)

Is there a way I can escape the comma on the command line of getlog
so that it ignores it as a CSV field separator?

For those not familiar with getlog.pl but still wish to help me out,
this is a small perl script that takes a command line input of text
surrounded by quotes, which it searches for at the header of a CSV
file, then it scans through that file and pulls the last reading
from the same column and outputs it in a format MRTG appreciates.
I've since modified it a bit to get 2 readings, but essentially I'm
a perl newbie and can't figure out how to make it take a comma when
it relies on a comma being the end of the field!

Your assistance and suggestions are sincerely appreciated!

Eric Brander
Eric_Mailing_List at rednarb dot com