[mrtg] Re: MRTG perl processes

Dowling, Steve Steve.Dowling at tafensw.edu.au
Tue Mar 16 00:38:30 MET 2004

Robin,

I monitor about 200 targets on a Compaq Deskpro running NT4.  It works
OK, but don't try to use it as a workstation!

We use firedaemon to turn the processes into Windows services, it works
out to about a dozen services running simultaneously.  That also means
we can stop/edit/start any one of them without affecting the others.
They eventually all run at different times, spreading the CPU load.

Load your machine with as much RAM as you can (blatantly obvious, that
one).

A last thought.  If you're using a lot of ping-probes on slow devices,
(as I do), remember that ping has a timeout period that may cause your
process to hang around gobbling up cpu cycles until your remote device
answers.

Hope this helps,

Steve Dowling