[mrtg] Re: Manual Input for a rrd database

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Mar 17 02:17:53 MET 2004

>Use a spreadsheet capable of graphing.  MRTG would not be all
>that good for this.  You won't be happy with the results.  I
>know that's not what you want to hear, but MRTG is not really
>suited to do this IMHO.
>
>On second thought, you could customize the rrd file to have 1
>day resolution for 400 days as the lowest, and 10 years (or
>so) as the largest resolution.  Pick some interesting
>intervals like a 7 day rra and a 30 day rra to compare.
I agree -- although you could configure RRDTool to make an appropriate .rrd
file, then call rrdtool directly to store the data into it, RRD is geared up
more for automated 5-min data collection.  MRTG would certainly be out of
the equation, you'd be making your own data collection/input script, and
therefore your own data display script.  Much easier to use Excel,
especially if you have to type in these values yourself and aren't pulling
them automatically from your HR database.

Steve

---
Steve Shipway: ITSS, University of Auckland
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz  Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/
** We can only discover new oceans when we have the **
** courage to lose sight of the shore.              **

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- Size: 155 bytes