[mrtg] Re: CPU Load is too high

Johan Buret johan.buret at eloquant.com
Mon Mar 22 10:06:44 MET 2004

Frank.Friedhof at sparkasse-lemgo.de wrote:

>>Hello Folks,
>>
>>i´m running MRTG for approx. 56 Routers. This is a summary of approx.
>>300
>>Interfaces plus RouterCPU and Memusage per Router.
>>
>>I divided these routers in 7 services which describes 7 regions of our
>>Network (Locations).
>>

>And no I´m not using rrdtool. Is there a possibilty to reduce the load with
>"normal" MRTG running or must i use rrdtool?

As far as I know, using "normal" MRTG forces the computing of each PNG
image you see in MRTG generated web pages. Any way you take this
problem, computing so many images takes a *lot* of CPU time. In order to
decrease the load, you must go through rrdtool: it's way faster, since
it just logs the data - there are some scripts generating PNG graphs on
the fly.

>And can somebody give me an step-by-step way for Windows NT & rrdtool ?

The way to integrate mrtg and rrdtools is written here :
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg-rrd.html

Cheers, Johan Buret