[mrtg] Re: monitoring bandwidth per protocol

Paul Chvostek paul+mrtg at it.ca
Thu Mar 25 09:09:07 MET 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 06:31:08PM -0300, Victor Souza Menezes wrote:

> I'm running mrtg-2.10.13 on a Red Hat 9 system to monitor a router of my network
> and it works fine.

I know next-to-nothing about Redhat 9, but ...

> If i want to monitor, for example, the traffic on my network per protocol , i
> mean, TCP, X11, HTTP, ARP, POP, etc, what should i do??. I want to configure
> mrtg to monitor my firewall and i have some doubts:

You need either to log netflow from your upstream Cisco router, or you
need to run something like Ourmon (http://ourmon.cat.pdx.edu/ourmon/)
which will provide equivalent stuff stored in rrdtool.

MRTG, in a default installation, reads byte counters on your network
interfaces.  So MRTG doesn't see any protocol information -- just the
byte counters.

That isn't to say you *can't* get this information into MRTG -- anything
is possible.  For example, in FreeBSD, I make IPFIREWALL (ipfw) rules
that identify anything I want -- IP, netblock, port, port range, etc.
The ipfw rules have byte counters, which I can add up and feed to MRTG,
to get per-protocol stats.  But it's an entirely manual process, and I
have to know exactly what I'm looking for in order to set up the ipfw
rules to look for it.  Likewise with MRTG -- you have to define your
targets before you can build logs of their traffic.

You'd have to come up with a solution that worked with your particular
platform.  Last I heard, Redhat didn't use ipfw.  If it has something
equivalent that will let you gather the stats you need, pouring the data
into MRTG is just a SMOP.

Good luck!  :(

--
  Paul Chvostek                                             <paul at it.ca>