[mrtg] Re: Graphing multiple proccessors with mrtg

Stuart Kendrick skendric at fhcrc.org
Mon Mar 29 18:39:20 MEST 2004

hi guillermo,

i like to snmpwalk a device, to explore the capabilities of the SNMP agent
running on it ... that way, i know what it supports, in terms of
variables-to-graph.

i use this script to do that ... it produces a text file called
"{name}.walk".  then, i poke thru that file -- the names of the variables
are usually enough to tell me what is happening, though sometimes i need
to find the relevant MIB file and read it, too.

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;

my $snmpwalk;
my $string = shift;
my $target = shift;
my $version = shift;
my $usage = "walk.plx {community string} {version} {target}\n";

unless (defined $string and defined $target and defined $version) {
  die "$usage";
}

my $dest = $target . ".walk";
$snmpwalk = "/opt/vdops/bin/snmpbulkwalk -t 20 -r 3 -v $version -c $string
-Oa ";
system ("$snmpwalk $target .iso > $dest");

if you perform a walk on your multi-processor box:

guru% ./walk public 2 hydra

where "public" is a valid SNMP community string, "2" stands for SNMP v2c,
and "hydra" is the name of your multi-processor box, then the file
"walk.hydra" will contain the snmpwalk output.  poke thru it and look for
the entries defining ssCpuRawSystem.  betcha they look like
ssCpuRawSystem.0, ssCpuRawSystem.1, ssCpuRawSystem.2, and ssCpuRawSystem.3

Hope this helps,

--sk

Stuart Kendrick
FHCRC