[mrtg] Re: About config files

Michael Earls Michael.Earls at cchmc.org
Wed May 12 16:53:49 MEST 2004

I have MRTG/rrdtool monitor 1211 interfaces, the interface count grows
40 ports every 4 weeks.  I use one config file with 67 includes with 40
forks.

This all runs on GNU Debian/Testing.
cpu Intel P3 1400
mem 1 gig

The setup is hybrid with MRTG as the snmp collector and RRDtool as the
database. This setup works great.

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 10:07:12AM -0400, Andrew Werbowy wrote:
> 1) Is it better to run multiple configs (per switch/device) or it is
> better to build one big config file?

I'm fond of one-to-one relationships between physical entities and
configuration files.

> 3) Is it better to have one config and run all configs via Include:
> statement?

I don't like this because you end up serializing all your requests.
Especially when you've got the possibility of SNMP timeouts, you could
easily take much, much longer than you'd like to do your polling.
With
multiple independent config files, I've found that decently-sized
servers
can simply run all of them in parallel and finish sooner.

> 4) Lastly, what server should I have (cpu,ram,disks) in order to
gather
> 5000 port stats using MRTG (not RRDTools)?

How many devices for these ports? What operating system?

-roy