[mrtg] Re: Newbie Question re: Getting Data

Michael Grice grice at binc.net
Fri May 14 19:39:48 MEST 2004

* chastaib at genco.com <chastaib at genco.com> [040514 12:00] wrote:
> Greetings,
>      Okay, I've got MRTG up and running happily, and producing valid data.
>      Now, I want MORE!
>      I'm monitoring about 50 Cisco 1200 Access points.  I want to know how
> many users are associated to each access point.
>      I've read the faqs, I've research SNMP/MIB sites, but I'm stumped.  I
> know it's possible to get that information, but I don't know how to get
> there from here.
>      Any help or guidance anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Well, you're going to have to figure out how to get at the data you
want. SNMP support varies pretty widely; you may or may not be able to
get at this directly. Doing an SNMP walk on these devices should tell
you what you can get. You may need to track down the MIB's for the Cisco
1200's in order to do this. I have no idea what they actually support.

You may also be able to estimate the number of users using other
methods. For instance, you can get arp entries from most devices. You
could write a script which counts the number of arp entries, which could
give you a rough idea of how many users each access point at any one
time.
--Michael