[mrtg] Re: HELP!!!!

Bigelow, Andrea L. BigelowA at SEC.GOV
Tue May 25 22:57:37 MEST 2004

> I am a new mrtg user, I installed the perl and the
> mrtg-2.10.13, i create the mrtg.cfg file and when i run the
> perl mrtg mrtg.cfg command appear the next error:

Jorge, the most common reason for that error is a failure in SNMP
communication between MRTG and the device in question. The first things to
check are:

* Is the device configured to handle SNMP requests?
* Are there any firewalls blocking SNMP between yourself and the device?
* Are you using the correct community string? Think of a community string as
an SNMP "account" if you will. It serves a lot of the same functions.
* Are you querying a valid IP or name for the device that -it- will
recognize?
* If you snmpwalk the device, do you get a response?

Those are the things that usually the culprits when I get that error setting
up MRTG for a new device. Try those.

Andi L. Bigelow
Dyncorp EOS - Network Engineering Group
bigelowa{at}sec{dot}gov
(202) 942-4368

"Every man dies, but not every man really lives." -- Braveheart