[mrtg] Re: sent thousands packets every 5 min

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Mon Nov 29 23:57:57 MET 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 08:21:05AM -0800, XiaoHui Xu wrote:
> We're runing MRTG 2.10.11.  We found it's sending
> thousands of packets every 5 minutes.  I don't know
> what's wrong.  It should only send a few packets every
> 5 minutes.  Anyone can help?  Thanks.

There are thousands of people running MRTG.  If this would be an
issue, it would result in a new version pretty quickly I guess.

So, as MRTG is not the issue, it has to be

a) your configuration
or
b) your analysis of the problem

If "It should only send a few packets" then you should only have
a few targets.  Start by showing us (not: me) your config.
If this config is larger than just a few 100 bytes, don't bother
to post; it will be problem (b) in that case.

On the host where MRTG is run, start tcpdump (or ethereal, or any
suitable packet sniffer) and analize the frames.  See how many
frames are sent, to how many different locations, using what ports
and such.  Post a summary (NOT THE DUMP) if necessary.

I hope tcpdump will show you the frames are something different
from what you expect.  For instance, that it is traffic to port
25 (smtp) in stead of SNMP.  If so, you've found problem (b).

Alex
--
I ask you to respect any "Reply-To" and "Mail-Follow-Up" headers.  If
you reply to me off-list, you'd better tell me you're doing so.  If