[mrtg] Re: Graph max, bits vs. bytes, was: MRTG Help !...

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Tue Oct 5 18:10:17 MEST 2004

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Meral KESKINER wrote:

> Hello,
> =20
>     Our link capacity is 1,5 Mb but MRTG results are as shown below. I
> couldn't understand what is wrong. Any idea?

There are a couple of things that could be wrong, but you cut off the
top of the page where the relevant stuff is.

If the link is 1500k bits, then the MaxBytes paramter is wrong as you're
showing only 11% with 137.5k Bytes.  My suspicion is that you're entering
things manually as bytes, when the link speed is bits.  Serial link speeds
are typically expressed in bits per second, MRTG natively does Bytes, one
Byte is eight bits.

So, for a T-1 enter MaxBytes as 192000 (or specify the bandwidth on the
Cisco interface and let MRTG walk it.)  If you want the graph to show
bits instead of Bytes, add "Options[_]: bits" to the top of the config
file for all interfaces or to the specific target for just that one.

You can also add "growright" to the Options line, separate with a comma,
to have the graph grow to the right which is easier for many to interpret.

Hint:  Try a more meaningful subject line on your post to the list.
"MRTG Help!" in this forum doesn't convey much useful information.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/