[mrtg] Peaks Crush Graphs

Jim McAtee jmcatee at mediaodyssey.com
Sat Oct 9 21:31:53 MEST 2004

I'm monitoring bandwidth on a 10 Mbps circuit which typically runs well
under 1 Mbps.  Every once in a while I'll get a very bad single data point
spike up to 7 or 8 Mbps and this spike will just crush down the rest of
the data being graphed.

A. What's a good way to contain this?  ABSMAX?  Manual scaling?

B. If I set ABSMAX and then delete all the graphs for a data set, would
the newly generated graphs suppress the spikes or is it once the data
point is in the database I'm SOL until I can either edit it out or it
scrolls out of the data set.