[mrtg] Re: query re speed of processing against many mrtg targets ...

Eric Brander Eric_Mailing_List at rednarb.com
Mon Oct 11 14:17:52 MEST 2004

dhazell at aap.com.au wrote:

> Does anyone have any tips on how to run W2000 mrtg server faster from
> software point of view - (perhaps I need to upgrade the system to something
> that generates the graphs on demand rather than always whether the graphs
> are needed or not.)  Is it true it is probably faster to have multiple
> processes running mrtg against many targets at the same time.
>
> Your insights will be appreciated.

I have my CFG files stored in 5 different folders, and use Task
Scheduler to run a batch file with the folder name as a parameter (well,
sorta). Meanwhile, I put the configs in the different folders based on
how long they run so that I get an even distribution across the 5
instances. So in task scheduler I start an instance every 1 minute, and
each instance takes less than 60 seconds.  I run about 150 configs this way.

You may want to also consider converting some of your larger configs to
RRDTool, as it significantly speeds up polling.  Problem is that it
slows down displaying the graphs of course, but its a price worth paying
IMHO.

Eric Brander