[mrtg] Re: How many OID can I read with one mrtg system

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Oct 15 21:24:44 MEST 2004

> do have anybody experience with a mrtg on a windows system which measure
> about 200 OID at the same time?
> How many power (cpu, ram and so on) should have this windows system?
> Any hints to do this?
>
> In the past a measured about max. 50 different values on one PC wiht
> windows and mrtg.

If all 200 OID's are in the same polling app, the cpu isn't going to
make much difference. The issue will be the round-trip time required
to poll a remote device and obtain a response. The polling happens
sequentially, one oid/device after another.

If the polling cycle is every five minutes and all oid's/devices are
within the same polling app, and "each" oid requires a 100 millisecond
poll-response time, then the best one can do is something around
25,000 oid's (assuming I didn't screw up the math).

The real key is knowing exactly what your poll-response times are,
and what else is running on that same box that consumes processor
cycles.