[mrtg] Monitoring Multiple Switches

Tim Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Tue Oct 19 22:55:05 MEST 2004

Hello All,

Once again thanks to all who helped me get MRTG up and running, it is
totally great!!!

As I am continuing to implement MRTG, I am facing somewhat of a
congestion problem on the index page.  By the time that I have MRTG
fully implemented, I will be monitoring almost 300 ports of on 8
switches around the building.  Obviously that is quite a few to handle
on one screen.  What I would love to do is to break it up with a central
page listing each switch, that is a link to be clicked to access the
typical MRTG page for that switch.

To do this, I don't think poses a huge problem, what I anticipate doing
is creating a separate folder for each switch, and routing the
indexmaker command output to that folder.

The problem that I am not sure of is the only way that I have seen the
indexmaker command implemented is to have multiple configuration files
in the command line for it, which presents a problem unless it is
possible to call more than one instance of Indexmaker.  Or some such
thing.  Once I get the pages being generated within the proper folders,
I am planning to construct a cool looking front page for the whole thing
(no problem, I do web stuff all the time).

If someone could please enlighten me on how to get it creating different
output in different folders at the same time, I would be most
appreciatative.

TIM

Tim Holmes

IT Manager