[mrtg] Re: HPUX cpu usage always 0!

Eric Brander Eric_Mailing_List at rednarb.com
Fri Oct 22 14:02:10 MEST 2004

Craig Humphrey wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> My understanding of how MRTG worked for "counter" (constantly
> increasing) fields, is that it subtracts the previously polled value
> from the current value and divides by the time period.  Presumably
> that's done before any math expression in Target[].
>
> Have I got this wrong?

Well, I've never seen a processor usage counter increment... but then
again I've had only very little experience with hpux. Most often I'm use
to seeing a processor counter that is a snapshot of %utilization at that
moment, or as in the case of Cisco and some others, a 1-minute or
5-minute processor average. In which case the Gauge option is required.

Since a this time of morning I can't seem to wrap my brain around how
that counter you're polling is giving processor utilization stats, I'm
afraid I can't come up with an answer for you. But if you really are
trying to calculate a rate, I don't think that subtracting it from 100
is going to give you anything useful.

YMMV - again I've never experienced a counter like that, but that
doesn't mean it isn't legit...

Eric Brander