[mrtg] A Philosophical / Procedural Question

Tim Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Tue Oct 26 12:44:26 MEST 2004

Good Morning Folks:

I have been using MRTG to monitor my switches for about 2 weeks now, and I have what I guess you would call more of procedural or philosophical question (yeah, I know its early in the morning for that!)  :)

Occasionally, I am seeing a port or ports on one of the switches (it varies) that are showing a huge spike in traffic.  In some cases its outbound, in others its inbound.  For example I came in and checked stuff this morning, and found one of the ports has been averaging 590 b/s all night (inbound) and 595 b/s Outbound with peaks over 700 b/s

I walked the wire backwards, and found that this port is connected to my Ghost server, and it has been doing nothing all night long.

My question, is what next?  Where do I go from here to determine the cause of this traffic,

The other day, I had a machine on the core switch that was running an unusual amount of outbound traffic, I turned it off, and the traffic disappeared, but I don't think that's the final solution.

The examples above are not typical of my network, but kinda make me wonder.  Any insights that you can provide would be appreciated.

You may contact me on the list, Privately at tholmes@<nospam>mcaschool.net (take out the nospam tag to get through) or via IM on Yahoo at W8TAH or AOL at W8TAHHAM.

Thanks so much for your help.

Tim Holmes

IT Manager