[mrtg] Re: (no subject) graph up / down / missing eval data sometimes.

Samudra E. Haque haque at pradeshta.net
Thu Oct 28 17:17:36 MEST 2004

I had this problem for many months before I stumbled on the answer. Increase
the timeout for the SNMP packet to return, it is too short. The default time
is 2 seconds, I had to increase (on my network of two 100Mbps Nortel
Baystack 350T switches) the time out to 5 seconds, and my problems went
away. There is some sort of congestion on your network that prevents the
SNMP response packets to return to the MRTG collection routine in more than
2 seconds time.

If you can modify your MRTG config file, change the very last parameter on
the targets from default ":::::" to "::::5" but check your own MRTG manual
page for details on doing so, as it may be different for you.

When you are done, please feedback to the list ; this also solves the
previous e-mail query about why graphs appear to have discontinuities given
that the network is fully operating.

-samudra