[mrtg] Re: SNMP info from other end of WAN

Michael Markstaller mm at elabnet.de
Thu Sep 9 18:32:26 MEST 2004

it perfoms very well since I removed any external commands and do strictly SNMP.
The box is a Dell PE2450, 2xPIII-866, 768MB, 10k SCSI-Raid
4 instances means I start MRTG 4 times each as daemon with its own masterconfig including the host-configs..
no crontab, mrtg is much more efficient running as daemon, config is something like this:
RunAsDaemon: Yes
Forks: 10

the main reason for running instances is one for 1min polling GigE 3com-crap without SNMPv2-support (prevent loss due to counters-wrap) and two for far sites with many (> 20 hosts) where WAN-lines tend to fail from time to time and if let's say 20 of 100 hosts in a masterconfig are unreachable, mrtg tend to come into trouble.. but more forks could also help.

Michael