[mrtg] Re: graph timestamped data -- PS

Dan Yost dybulk at tri8.net
Sun Sep 12 00:30:33 MEST 2004

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Dan Yost wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'll resort to posting to a list (LAST resort), as I have been all over
> the FAQ, Google, Google Groups, this list's archive, and the MRTG docs.
>
> That being said, I'd happily take a "read this" link if I've indeed been
> blind.
[snip]

> Instead of polling and getting current data for "now" and parameters 1 and
> 2, I'd poll generally and get, say, two values: timestamp and temperature.
> I don't want to graph the timestamp itself (which makes no sense, of
> course, but could be done using one of the two configurable parameters
> graphed by MRTG). I must find a way to get "1093107052 88" (this is a
> SIMPLIFIED example) and be able to graph the fact that at 08/21/2004
> 16:50:52 (that's Epoch-based time 1093107052) it was 88 degrees (even
> though this is occurring now--values will really be within 60 minutes or
> so in the real world).
[etc]

I completely neglected to mention that it does look like my best hope is
RRDTOOL in the mix here.

In fact, I know that using RRDTOOL on the command line would completely
solve my "insert directly into MRTG log files" issue, though it would
still skip SNMP support.

I'd imagine that any response you can give will focus on RRDTOOL, which is
fine ('specially if it works!). I haven't quite determined how to have
MRTG query for, say, "temperature" and "timestamp" (instead of in and out)
and then *combine* those two values into one call for RRDTOOL, e.g. "get
temperature" returns 88 and "get timestamp" returns 1093107052, but what
goes into RRDTOOL is a *single* value of 1093107052:88 (dynamically
generated from the output of the two variables, as queried via SNMP).

Perhaps I'm right on the edge of getting it right, and any help is
appreciated.

If I were doing it straight from C or my own command line, I'd do a

rrdtool update my.rrd valueReceivedForTimestamp:valueReceivedForTemp

I just don't know how to have this work where MRTG grabs the values for
valueReceivedFor* and plugs them in together in one call. Maybe the best
way is indeed to just do some SNMP queries myself and build rrdtool
command lines out of them.

Anyway, that's further pertinent info here.

Thanks so much,
Dan