[mrtg] Re: OT Bandwithd

Matthew Petach mpetach at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 20 21:57:42 MEST 2004

--- Alfred Payne <alfred at tcsn.co.za> wrote:

> [...]

Well, why bother trying to "fool" them?  Why not just turn on
ip_forwarding in your kernel, and set all the other hosts to
use your IP address as their default gateway for real, if you
want to be able to measure and track all traffic leaving your
network?  (Note that even with this setup, you'll only see the
traffic leaving your subnet; traffic between hosts will still
be switched directly between them without hitting your host.

In general, if you have a flat hub-only network, you can get
away with putting your host in promiscuous mode and just
listening to everything.  If you have any switch ports in your
network, the only way to get true traffic stats is to monitor
the switch directly using SNMP, TL1, or some other management
protocol.

Matt