[mrtg] Re: Installing and Compiling MRTG on Solaris 8

John Schons jschons at isd.co.la.ca.us
Tue Sep 21 02:09:55 MEST 2004

Matt and Steve,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I found libz.a and performed the config
and it worked great!

Thanks aplenty!

John Schons

John Schons
(562) 940 3024

>>> "Steven M. Christensen" <steve at smc.vnet.net> 09/20/04 04:01PM >>>
The zlib packages on sunfreeware.com install the libz.a and libz.so*
libraries in /usr/local/lib.  The files zlib.h and zconf.h are in
/usr/local/include.

I will see what I can do about putting the latest gd and mrtg packages
on sunfreeware.com.   gd is there, but needs to be updated.   I am
open to suggestions on what configure flags are the best or most
desired for a Solaris system.

Steve Christensen
sunfreeware.com

> From mpetach at yahoo.com  Mon Sep 20 18:34:38 2004
> Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:32:18 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Matthew Petach <mpetach at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [mrtg] Installing and Compiling MRTG on Solaris 8
> To: John Schons <jschons at isd.co.la.ca.us>, mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
> Cc: steve at smc.vnet.net

	tests=EMAIL_ATTRIBUTION,IN_REP_TO,QUOTED_EMAIL_TEXT,RCVD_IN_ORBS,

RCVD_IN_OSIRUSOFT_COM,REPLY_WITH_QUOTES,X_OSIRU_OPEN_RELAY
> [...]
> > I am trying to get MRTG running on Solaris 8 (Sparc Box) and am
having
> > a bit of difficulty. I downloaded all the appropriate packages
from
> > sunfreeware.com (thanks, Steve, for your help on this) and opened
them
> > up and did a pkgadd -d on all of them. I have two questions:
> >
> > 1) I can't find out where the zlib directory ended up. It isn't in
> > /usr/local and, when I run a "find / -name zlib" the only result I
get
> > is > /var/sadm/pkg/SMCzlib. I have run pkgadd -d on this several
times
> > and the result is the same. Where did this rascal go?
>
> libraries on Solaris (and most other Unices) are of the form
> "libX.a" or "libX.so.V" where X is the abbreviation of the
> library used when linking against it, and V is the shared
> library version number.  In this case, since you're linking
> against the statically compiled version of the library, you'll
> need to search for "libz.a".  If you look through the files
> in /var/sadm/pkg/SMCzlib/ you'll be able to find a log of
> where the files were installed, if you don't want to perform
> another "find . -name libz.a" on your computer.
>
> > Question 2) has to do with gd. I downloaded gd 2.028 from the
boutell
> > site and followed the instructions  in the "mrtg-unix-guide" from
the
> > mrtg site. Seemed to go OK (except that combining the env CPPFLAGS
> > (etc.) with the --without- statements for freetype and jpeg didn't
want
> > to work together). When I try to compile MRTG I get a standard
output
> > error that says:
> > ==
> > checking for gdImageGif in -lgd... no
> > checking for gdImagePng in -lgd... no
> > checking for gdImagePng_jpg in -lgd... no
> > checking for gdImagePng_jpg_ft in -lgd... no
> > checking for gdImageGd in -lgd... no
> > checking gd.h usability... yes
> > checking gd.h presence... yes
> > checking for gd.h... yes
> >
> > ** Ooops, one of many bad things happened:
> >
> > a)  You don't have the GD library installed.
> > Get it from http://www.boutell.com, compile it and
> >      use either --with-gd-lib=DIR and --with-gd-inc=DIR to specify

> >      its location. You might also have to use --with-z-inc,
> >            --with-z-lib and --with-png-inc, --with-png-lib for gd
> >            versions 1.6 and higher.  Check config.log for more
> >      information on the problem.
> >
> > b)  You have the GD library installed, but not the gd.h
> >      header file.  Download the source (see above) and use
> >      --with-gd-inc=DIR to specify where the file can be found.
> >
> > c)  You have the library and the header file installed, but
> >      you also have a shared GD library in the same directory.
> >      Remove the shared library files and/or links (e.g.
> >      libgd.so.2.0.0, libgd.so and libgd.so.2).  This is especially

> >            likely if you're using a recent (post 1.8.4) version of
GD
> >      and didn't configure it with --disable-shared.
> >
> > d)  You have gd library installed and also it's headers, but you
are
> >      missing libpng (and headers) or freetype (and headers)
> >      (mrtg does not use freetype, but if your copy of gd is
precompiled

> >      against it, you have to install it ...
> >
> > Consider following the instructions in doc/mrtg-unix-guide.txt
> >
> > The only error of those above that seems like it might be the
problem
> > is:
> >
> > b)  You have the GD library installed, but not the gd.h
> >      header file.  Download the source (see above) and use
> >      --with-gd-inc=DIR to specify where the file can be found.
> >
> > but I'm not sure what the instructions are telling me to do. The
gd
> > compile statement documented on the site is as follows:
> >
> > env CPPFLAGS="-I../zlib -I../libpng" LDFLAGS="-L../zlib
-L../libpng"
> > --without-freetype -- without-jpeg
> >
> > This is the statement that I cannot get to work in the first place.
If