[mrtg] Re: Are XML cfg files in the future of MRTG?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Sep 22 00:39:41 MEST 2004

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 08:21:54AM +1000, Adam Dale wrote:
> Just something to ponder,
>
> Are there any plans to include an XML configuration
> file option in future releases of MRTG?

Why would you want to see that happen?  Do you think MRTG would benefit?

Why do people think xml is such a good thing?  I really do not see
any benefit.  You'd get a huge parser, just to read a fixed set of
configuration options.

Having a magically extendable configuration parser does not magically
extend the capabilities of MRTG ?!?

If you need the config file in xml to read it into another program,
write a script (or so) that converts the existing file into xml.

> I'd love to here feed back from people whether they
> would support such an option.

I wouldn't; not at the moment anyway.

Alex
--
You want an answer?  You'd better follow the following guidelines!
Linesize well below 80 chars. Reply to the list, not to me. Trim