[mrtg] Re: Help with "incompatible libpng version" error on execution

Matthew Petach mpetach at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 22 19:54:10 MEST 2004

--- Alex Ames <aames at tapeswitch.com> wrote:
> Greetings.
>     I'm hoping somebody on this list will be kind enough to share some
> insight on a problem I'm having with MRTG 2.10.15 on Mandrake Linux 9.1.
> SNMP is already installed, configured and working properly. Following
> the unix install instructions
> (http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg-unix-guide.html),
> I have downloaded and compiled the libraries to the locations listed in
> the instructions.
>
> zlib-1.2.1
> libpng-1.2.7
> gd-2.0.28
>
> I then run configure as below:
> # ./configure --with-gd=/usr/local/src/gd --with-z=/usr/local/src/zlib
> --with-png=/usr/local/src/libpng
>
> The configure output looks normal, and a "make" and "make install"
> appear to work with no problems.
> I create my cfg file using cfgmaker, for the switch I'm testing with (a
> 3com 3300 series) with no problems.
>
> I then run the following command to test that everything works:
> # /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/mrtg /usr/local/mrtg-2/etc/mrtg.1.cfg
>
> And here's the output: (duplicates removed)
>
> libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.2.5
> libpng warning: Application  is running with png.c from libpng-1.0.12
> gd-png:  fatal libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application
> and library
> ERROR: Skipping webupdates because rateup did not return anything sensible
> WARNING: rateup died from Signal 11
>  with Exit Value 0 when doing router '10.1.1.250_101'
>  Signal was 11, Returncode was 0
> #
>
> Why (and from where) is it getting libpng-1.2.5 and libpng-1.0.12 ?!
> How can I fix this?

You say you compiled libpng 1.2.7 in /usr/local/src/libpng, but you
didn't say you did a make install afterwards; there's a good chance
you have earlier versions of libpng lurking on your system you'll have
to root out.  They might have been installed as RPMs, or they might have
been installed via a simple "make install".  First step is to see if that's
indeed the case.  Run a "find / -name libpng" and see if you turn up
references to libpng in places other than /usr/local/src/libpng; if you
do, then you'll probably need to uninstall the earlier versions first,
then recompile gd to make sure it's using the right version.

> Thanks,
> Alex A

Hope this helps!

Matt