[mrtg] Re: Maximum Bytes

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Sep 30 01:36:23 MEST 2004

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 06:28:02PM -0500, William Owen wrote:

> Another good way to handle the rounding/timing errors is to use the
> absmax[target]: setting.  I use this a lot to monitor a 2Mbps cable modem.
> It is not uncommon to see 110% throughput.  I set MaxByte[Cable_1]: 250000
> and absmax[Cable_1]: 1300000 so that MRTG will not discard the >100% values,
> but will still calculate a percent utilization based on the purchased
> bandwidth.  If you are getting more than you pay for, it is a good thing to
> know (as apposed to n/a's).

Agreed on the AbsMax thingy.  I actually do use that but forgot to tell.

However, chances are you're _not_ getting more than you paid for in the
OPs case.  10baseT will not have a throughput > 10mbps yet it could happen
that delays in processing the SNMP request results in one interval showing
as 100-something percent and the next at 90-something when in reality the
throughput was at 99.something in both cases.

signing off for today, er, yesterday

cheers,
Alex
--
You want an answer?  You'd better follow the following guidelines!
Linesize well below 80 chars. Reply to the list, not to me. Trim