[mrtg] Re: Cisco Switch: Interfaces don't add up right

Eric Brander eric_mailing_list at rednarb.com
Thu Apr 7 16:43:07 MEST 2005

Shane Presley wrote:

>Thanks guys, it looks like the 32 bit counters might be the problem.
>But when I try to use version 2, I get this error:
>
>HighspeedCounters faild ... Droping back to V1
>
>So it looks like my switches might not support it (Cisco 2950)
>
>Any other options?  Would increasing my polling time from 5 minutes to
>1 minute help?

1-minute polling with RRDTool (can't do 1-minute polling without
RRDTool) will get you better results, but the max you can graph before
wrap is 546 Mbps / 68 MBps.  That's likely adequate but then again,
you'll never know for sure...

BTW, I use 2950's and 64-bit counters on my gigabit uplinks. You may
need to update your IOS.

Regards,

Eric Brander