[mrtg] Re: is there a way to reduce mrtg cpu usage?

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Mon Aug 22 13:47:08 MEST 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 20:39 +0200, John Smith wrote:
> Hello!
> Is there a way to reduce mrtg cpu usage? I use mrtg and i set update
> interval to 20 minutes, mrtg generation still consumes ~10% CPU in
> nicelesslevel in average.
> I`ve thought abaout setting update interval to 30% und update the logfiles
> more often, like every 5 minutes.

One thing to tweak is the number of forks - you want to ensure that you
don't have to swap, so sometimes you want to reduce the number of forks.
It's totally dependent upon your infrastructure, so I can't suggest a
number for you.

If you are doing this with rateup, why not switch to rrdtool and skip
the graph generation piece?

> So i thought to use or write a script which reads the snmp values and update
> the logfiles used by mrtg or rateup. The logfile update would take cpu
> power, but it could be less accurate than mrtg or rateup.
>
> Is there a way?
> Does a scrip called bbmrtg.pl has anything to do with this?

bbmrtg.pl reads the logfiles/rrdfiles every five minutes and reports the
values to Big Brother or Hobbit.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX, CISSP # 78281
Austin Energy

dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com