[mrtg] Re: SNMP Error

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Dec 4 22:57:37 MET 2005

>Today i saw that it wasn't giving me any new graphs. I get
>this from the log file:
>
>SNMP Error:
>no response received

I would say the problem is that your MRTG is not receiving a response from
the remote SNMP daemon.  Pretty clear from the error message.  All the
subsequent errors are caused by this one.

As to what could be causing this, I've no idea.  Maybe your network has
changed?  SNMP community changed?  SNMP agent is not currently running?
Firewall eating packets?  You've changed the network interface numbers on
the remote device?  Could be any number of things.

It's true that MRTG produces a whole lot of extra error messages when
there's a problem, but the first one is usually pretty helpful.  Try reading
the messages.

Steve