[mrtg] Re: Fine tuning my email MRTG logger

Koelstra, J. (Jan) JKoelstra at MINSZW.NL
Fri Dec 9 11:17:21 MET 2005

Scott,

The answers to most of your questions can be found in the reference docs.

You can make an 'all' config file with two 'include's
First is the config file generated by cfgmaker, the second is the eims config file.
If you run indexmaker against the 'all' config file you will get all graphs in the index.

If you don't want the uptime in your graph add 'noinfo' at the options line.

If you want to change the legend below the graphs have a look at the 'legend' part in the MRTG-reference.html

If you want text inside your graphs have a look at 'printrouter', 'pngdate' and 'pngtitle'.

HTH,

Jan.

-----Original Message-----
From: mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch [mailto:mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of Scott Haneda
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 5:58 AM
To: MRTG
Subject: [mrtg] Fine tuning my email MRTG logger

Thanks to all the fine folks here, I have managed to get MRTG to report a graph based on my incoming and outgoing email server stats.  I have some small technical problems I would like to overcome, and just do not fully grasp all the options MRTG has to help me.  This may get a little long, but hopefully someone can take a stab at each issue:

The data comes from a remote machine, I supply it to MRTG via curl and send back data such as this: 12 45 1134103425 eims

I don't entirely understand how to generate the cfg file, I did one by hand, by copying bits of other cfg files.  There is some trailing html bits in the file, and I am not sure I need that stuff.

Right now, I have eims.cfg, in it is this:
EnableIPv6: no
Options[_]: growright,perminute,pngdate,gauge
Htmldir: /Library/WebServer/Documents/mrtg/http/
ImageDir: /Library/WebServer/Documents/mrtg/http/images/
LogDir: /Library/WebServer/Documents/mrtg/logs/
IconDir: images_mrtg/

Target[eims]: `curl -s http://www.example.com/test.php`
MaxBytes[eims]: 12500000
Title[eims]: eims
PageTop[eims]: <h1>eims</h1>

I assume those options are global ones, and if I want them to just apply to this report I need to do this:
Options[eims]: growright,perminute,pngdate,gauge

When I run indexmaker on the eims.cfg file, I end up sending it to > eims.html and get the normal report, with the 4 graphs on it.  Good so far, but I also have a 24 port switch, and would like to get the one 5 minute average in that index.html page to link to the detail eims.html page.

The 24 port switch has a configmaker line I run, and it does everything perfect, I will run it from time to time as I add more servers to the port. So, I don't really want to always have to paste in the eims.cfg data to the switch.cfg file and have it get overwritten.  So, how do I get a cfgmaker line to run that will "include" my eims.cfg and not have it interfere with other settings and options for the switch?

This is just a raw count of emails in and out, so it is not bytes over time at all, it is merely emails per time. Right now, the 5 minute average says Bytes per minute and the weekly month and yearly graphs also say similar. Can that be changed to something else?

Within the left portion of the graph is the numbers that represent in this case bytes, can I logically think of those as "emails"?

My yearly graph has the word 'eims' in the upper left of the x/y, none of the others have this, how did this get here, and how do I eitehr get it on all of them, or none of them?

I am getting:
The statistics were last updated Thursday, 8 December 2005 at 20:55, at which time 'eims' had been up for 1134104026. As you can see, uptime is totally off, I am sending in seconds since epoch as line 3 to mrtg, how is this calculated?  I would probably like to just remove this line, as it is not relative at all.

I think that covers most of the smaller issues, thanks again.

Het ministerie van Sociale Zaken en Werkgelegenheid sluit elke aansprakelijkheid uit in verband met het niet juist, onvolledig of niet tijdig overkomen van de informatie in deze e-mail.
Aan dit bericht kunnen geen rechten worden ontleend.

Dit bericht is alleen bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Indien dit bericht niet voor u bestemd is, verzoeken wij u dit onmiddellijk aan ons te melden en de inhoud van dit bericht te vernietigen.

The ministry of Social Affairs and Employment is not liable for any incorrect or incomplete transmission of the information in this e-mail or for any delay in its receipt.
This message shall not constitute any obligations.

This message is intended solely for the addressee.
If you have received this message in error, please inform us immediately and delete its content.