[mrtg] Re: MRTG log file parsing

Ruttenberg, Tanya Tanya.Ruttenberg at ssa.gov
Wed Dec 14 15:54:27 MET 2005

Thank you for suggestions to everyone.

You must be running mrtg from cron and therefore it makes sense to run it
with a wrapper script that catches the errors.

We are running it as a daemon because we are monitoring a very large number
of targets (60,000 and growing) and wanted to spare ourselves the overhead
of loading config information into memory every 15 minutes.  We run 7
instances of MRTG to monitor almost 7,000 devices. And we run it with the
--logging option on.  I should have included this info in my original
request.

I think the way for me to go is to write a script to parse the logfile and
incorporate it into a log rotation schema that runs daily or weekly or
something like that.

Thanks again all!

Tanya Ruttenberg - RSIS Contractor
OTSO/DNE/NMPEB